Tuesday 30 December 2008

Thick Yoga Mat - What You Need to Know

In my experience Yoga is one of the most enriching and invigorating forms of exercise you can do. It can compliment the workout regime of the most active health enthusiast as well as enable simple and easy physical activity for those who are quite sedentary during the day. This includes 9-5 office workers who are at a desk all day. The importance of a good Yoga workout though is not just knowing how to do it but also setting up an area where you can perform Yoga in the most comfortable way.

One of the most crucial factors that attribute to the comfort level of any Yoga session is your Yoga mat. Now some people can make do without a mat, and that's fine. However, most people, and that includes me, can't sit on a hard floor for too long without getting sores so I need a good thick yoga mat to cushion the floor. I have noticed from personal experience that when I do Yoga with no mat or with a mat that is too thin I come off much worse that before I started the session. This includes sore feet and ankles. However, after using a thick or extra thick yoga mat not only can I have a Yoga session that is extremely comfortable but I can have it for a lot longer. This makes me look forward to my Yoga every morning because I know how amazing I will feel after and that the rest of my day will be energised.

There are a few things you need to consider before getting a Yoga mat that suits you. Different people will feel different on different types of mat:

  • Standard mat - this can be fine for some people as some people prefer having a session on a solid, firm ground
  • Cotton mat - these can be quite comfortable, but may not provide enough cushioning on a hard floor
  • Eco mat - These mats prioritize the eco-friendliness of the materials used to make the mat rather than the comfort, although some eco mats are of a really good quality.
  • Thick or extra thick yoga mat - these are my favourite as the provide a good level of cushioning on a hard floor. Some people worry about balance being effected but my balance has been the same on these mats and even better in some positions.

So how do you go about finding a mat for you? The best way is to try them out first, if possible in order to check the comfort level of each one. I personally bought all of mine until I found the one that was perfect for you. At the end of the day all I want is a good Yoga session and my thick yoga mat always ensures I have one.

K. Patel, Yoga enthusiast, Visit my blog at http://www.thickyogamatblog.com

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=Ketan_M_Patel